Cheat The Christmas Stress With This Ham-dy Recipe From CheatMeats
Christmas lunch is normally not the meal we’d recommend trying out any new recipes – but when the recipe’s from local carnivorous legends CheatMeats, we’re happy to take the risk! They’ve whipped up a handy recipe to help you through the stress of getting the perfect, succulent leg of ham – just like this one:
- Trim the rind off your already smoked and chilled leg of ham. You’ll notice under the rind there is a layer of fat. Don’t trim this off! This delicious layer of fat is what helps create your crispy and sticky coating from the glaze.
- Gently run a sharp knife through the fat layer of the whole ham in a crisscross pattern.
- Get your smoker or BBQ up to a temperature of 130°C and place your ham inside, then allow to smoke upright for 3 hours.
- In a small bowl mix together ½ cup apple juice, ¼ cup of whisky, 2 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard.
- Place alongside the ham in the smoker and allow to warm, mixing every 15 minutes.
- After 3 hours has passed, begin glazing your smoked ham with the glaze mixture, brushing it every 15 minutes for a further hour.
- Once your ham has hit an internal temperature of 68°C, remove it from the smoker and rest on the bench for 15 minutes.
- Slice, serve and enjoy with your family and friends!