We just can’t resist a controversial topic, can we? But we’ve been feeling the need for some golden, flaky, meaty goodness and we’ve just gotta let you know about some of our favourite pies around town.
- Once you’ve tried one of Brighton Bakery‘s pies, you’ll understand why they keep winning awards. Flavourful, tender fillings, a golden, delicious crust… Plus, you can’t forget the service that’s just as warm as the pies.
- 111B Brighton Road, Scarborough
Cambridge Corner Store
- Sure, some friend tells you somewhere’s great… That’s not always enough to sell us. But when we keep hearing the same name, again and again, over and over? Well, that’s when we’re really paying attention. Cambridge Corner Store is one such place, winning legions of local fans after taking over the old corner deli spot. Hand-made in store, these pies are packed to the brim and tantalisingly golden.
- 442 Cambridge Street, Floreat
Grocer And The Chef
- The Grocer And The Chef have been steadily growing admirers since opening in 2020 – not just for their top-tier local produce, or their sparkling customer service, but also for their delicious deli goods. Star amongst them is their chunky steak pie – filled with tender, chunky beef in just the right amount of gravy, and encased in some A+ pastry.
- 115 Lefroy Road, Beaconsfield
Black Pig Deli & Co.
- Purveyors of all things delicious, Black Pig Deli‘s expansion from artisanal provedore into their neighbouring eatery has paid off. As well as some sandwiches that’ll blow your hair back, these guys have a pie game that is hard to beat – whether you’re grabbing lunch on the go or an easy midweek dinner.
- 4/890 Beaufort Street, Inglewood
- Sunshine Cafe (yes, that understated lunch bar on Beaufort Street ) just keep serving up some of the best food in Perth. Tucked away on Beaufort Street in between Walcott Street and Queens Crescent, and with no online presence to speak of, Sunshine is about as unassuming as it comes – but their flavourful menu has meant a loyal following of devotees. Generous sizes at reasonable prices make it an all round hit. From pho to banh mi – or, of course, the lunch bar stalwart of an absolutely ripper pie.
- 683A Beaufort St, Mount Lawley
- This community-focused, family-run patisserie is serving up some truly comforting pies. Whether you’re into a classic steak and kidney, a unique chilli con carne pie topped with cheese, or even something a bit fancier involving steak, porcini and blue cheese, you’ll walk away happy. Vegan pie lovers can get in on the action too, with Jaylea’s offering some impressive vegan pie and pastie options.
- 88 Archibald Street, Willagee
Peter’s Choice Butchery
- If you’re looking for a quick lunch to go or something for your weeknight dinner, Peter’s Choice Butchery has a cabinet that will delight. Along with quiches, pasta, parmigiana and wings, this butcher has some pies that compete with the best of them. Available ready to go as a single serving or a larger size to take home for dinner, you can also order online for next day delivery – we’re not saying you should bulk order pies, but we’re also not saying you shouldn’t…
- 6/20 St Quentin Avenue, Claremont
Marco’s Fussy Meats
- You’ve just got to take one look at a Fussy Meats pie to know you’ve got something special in your hands (and heart). While their pastry is spectacularly buttery, it’s matched by the generous, chunky fillings. We’re not surprised it’s just about everyone’s #1.
- 86 Hammond Road, Cockburn
- 777 Canning Highway, Applecross
- Sometimes you just need to connect to a more bougie side of yourself. While just stepping inside the Boatshed can feel aspirational, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy Australia’s favourite blue-collar food there. The Boatshed’s bakery (and let’s be honest, the whole store) is pretty impressive from the get-go, and their pies (also available in family sizes) certainly follow suit. For those who are going for more of a seafaring vibe, their fish pie – available at the fish counter – is a winter treat.
- 40 Jarrad Street, Cottesloe
North Street Store
- Ah yes, this one almost goes without saying, doesn’t it? North Street Store (and their ever-expanding empire) are serving up some pies that stand up to the hype. Some of the best, flakiest pastry in town makes these worth their weight in gold.
- 16 North Street, Cottesloe
- You know what we said about butchers and pies? Well, it rings true yet again with a visit to Olsen Butcher. Situated on the bustling Angelo Street (plus its outposts in Roleystone and Booragoon), the family owned and operated business has been running since 1989, serving up quality, local produce since its beginnings. The same approach and dedication is seen in their pies: flaky, golden and packed with delicious quality meat.
- 79 Angelo Street, South Perth
- Shop 304, Westfield Booragoon, 125 Riseley Street, Booragoon
- 21 Jarrah Road, Roleystone
Miller + Baker
- We were pretty jazzed about Miller + Baker’s opening that snuck in at the end of 2019, and our excitement hasn’t really abated in the intervening years. We’re not alone in this sentiment, earning a huge following not just for their artisanal breads (made with house-milled flour, you’ll find their bread in some of Perth’s best cafes and restaurants), but their equally delectable pastries. While their fillings often change, you’re guaranteed it’ll be topped with some toweringly flaky pastry.
- 6B/236 Lake Street, Northbridge
- This small, family-run bakery may have only opened in 2021, but it’s already become a huge hit around its Lathlain location. A large part of Grain Bakery’s success can be attributed to their long family baking history, with decades-old family recipes utilised to this day. When it comes to pies, their jalapeño and cheese has been a huge hit – but we also find it hard to go past the chunky steak and mushroom.
- 19 Lathlain Place, Lathlain
Mary Street Bakery
- Look, every time we start getting a little cynical about the roaring success of Mary Street… Well, we have a little tasty treat, and we’re reminded of how good they are. Their pies are no different, with their signature golden, flaky pastry, as well as a rotating roster of fillings that’ll have you coming back for more.
- Various locations
Last Crumb Cake Co.
- You’ll be eating every crumb of the goodies that come out of Last Crumb Cake Co. in Bassendean. Their cakes are Insta-worthy showstoppers, but you’ll also find it hard to resist their equally gorg pies. Rustic, crimpy edges are perfect for mega pastry lovers (guilty), while their generous fillings range from the classics, to more adventurous yet equally tempting flavours like BBQ beef brisket with mac and cheese. Oof.
- 77 West Road, Bassendean
- Formerly a Dutch butcher and grocer, under new ownership and with a new name, the Dutchy is transformed into a lunch bar – with a secret weapon. As well as a classic roster of fresh sandwiches, you can also get your hands on some of Perth’s best traditional English pork pies. Made on premises by pie-master Mick hold up the legacy of the classic worker’s lunch.
- 29 Adrian Street, Welshpool
- Header image: Cambridge Corner Store