It’s no secret we love our beaches in Western Australia, and even though we know incredible they are, it’s always nice to see them claim some fame a little further afield.
And this morning Albany’s Misery Beach was crowned Australia’s Best Beach by Tourism Australia, beating out 19 others around the country.
“With more than 11,000 beaches to choose from, narrowing down the top 20 beaches must be one of the toughest jobs in Australia,” said Federal Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Hon Dan Tehan MP said. “The 2022 list covers every state and territory, with a selection of our most spectacular beaches that will inspire and excite holiday makers all over Australia and the world.”
The list is judged by Australian coastal veteran and Tourism Australia’s appointed “Friend of Australia and beach expert” Brad Farmer AM, who’s been writing about beaches for almost four decades.
“It’s summer again and after a long year of lockdowns, Australians everywhere are keen to finally get some sand between their toes and holiday at home this year on the world’s most diverse and magnificent selection of beaches,” said Mr Farmer.
The list features beaches with unique cultural connections to First Nations Country, and a lot of beaches well off the beaten path (both physically and internet search-wise).
Coogee Beach south of Fremantle was the only other Western Australian beach to feature on the list, which you can check out below.
Perhaps it’s time we updated our own 50 Best Beaches Of Western Australia article?
1. Misery Beach, Albany WA
2. Horseshoe Bay, South West Rocks, NSW
3. The Spit, Gold Coast, QLD
4. Flaherty’s Beach, Yorke Peninsula, SA
5. Loch Ard Gorge, Port Campbell, VIC
6. The Neck, Bruny Island, TAS
7. Blue Pearl Bay, Whitsundays, QLD
8. Depot Beach, South Coast, NSW
9. Murrays Beach, Jervis Bay Territory, ACT/NSW
10. Dundee Beach, Darwin, NT
11. Dudley Beach, Newcastle, NSW
12. Thompsons Beach, Cobram, Rural, VIC
13. Coogee Beach, Perth, WA
14. Mots Beach, Marlo, VIC
15. Alexandria Bay, Noosa, QLD
16. Emu Bay, Kangaroo Island, SA
17. Lake Wabby, K’Gari (Fraser Is), QLD
18. Congwong Beach, Sydney, NSW
19. Jellybean Pool, Blue Mountains, NSW
20. Ethel Beach, Christmas Island, IOT
Header Image: Supplied.