It’s been great to see communities coming together to help others however they can in the unprecedented times we currently live in, and today we’re excited to share a new initiative helping those on the frontline in a safe and organised manner: Buy-A-Meal.
Initiated by the WA Mobile Food Vendors Association (WAMFVA), it’s a two-fold approach that not only helps support healthcare workers working day-in, day-out, but also small businesses.
We’ll let WAMFVA President Todd Kempton explain: “The managers we have spoken to at hospitals have explained how ‘care packages’ are continually showing up to provide essentials for staff. While these donations have the best intentions, the scattered approach has led to more work where resources are already scarce. What our hospitals need is a well planned approach which provides frontline staff with a physical and mental boost, while having a minimal operational impact…
“Buy-A-Meal comes together to support people at the frontline who don’t have the opportunity to think about their next meal. This is our chance to unite as a community to fuel our healthcare workers at the same time as supporting our local vendors. Let’s bond together to show the best of humanity.”
Fortunately, it also works pretty simply:
- Local community members can visit buyameal.com.au where they are able to make a donation;
- These donations will facilitate local food trucks parking outside hospitals and providing free meals for healthcare workers;
- The workers will be able to use an app to see which food trucks are at their hospital, select their meal and pick up their freshly cooked meal while still practicing social distancing;
- Each food truck will have an allocation of 100 donated meals then PAYG after until dishes run out. Workers have the choice to use a discount code to receive the donated meal or if they prefer to just pay, they can;
- If, at the end of the shift, the food truck still has an allocation left of ‘donated meals’, these will be provided to homeless shelters and similar organisations
If you’ve been sitting at home wondering how on earth you can help those out their saving lives safely and affordably, this seems like an awesome start.
Over to you now – head to the BUY-A-MEAL WEBSITE and donate today.
Up to date COVID-19 advice from the WA Health Department: HERE
Up to date COVID-19 advice from the Australian Health Department: HERE